Backyards

First, the back story...

We have lived in TX for 14 years now. Our first house we were in for 11 years. Growing up in Ohio, we were outside year round. Here in TX, not so much especially thru the summer. We purchased our 2005 built home this past Sept. Not sure if it will be our forever home, but possibly. We have the typical back-alley driveway. LOTS of traffic on the alley, so we don't want a basketball net put up on the driveway.

Now the opinion seeking...

Would you buy a house here IF the main part of the back yard was concrete and turned into a basketball court? We are thinking about it, but wasn't sure what opinions might be like. We would still have a nice patio area off the back door for grilling, socializing, etc. Our kids like being outside and all three of the younger ones like playing basketball, I just don't like all the traffic thru the alleyway.

Honestly, I would not buy a home that had most of the backyard as a basketball court. Have you considered having your driveway gated--extend your backyard fence and have the electronic gate in front of the driveway? It would keep the kids from running into the alley after balls and I wouldn't think it would cost more than pouring a concrete court in the backyard. It would probably add value to your home.

debw712

Diamond Member
Concrete that sucker in! I hate grass! Grass = bugs!

When they are a little older and can drive they wont play in the yard anyway, bball will keep them in the yard longer :)

When we bought our first home in Frisco 6 years ago almost, we wanted a "less work involved" yard. We had a pool and a LOT of pavers :) We had a strip of grass for the pup and all was good with the bug free world back there ;)

JaLynnC

Bronze Member
We did a combination of this - widened the driveway so that 3-4 cars can fit and put an electronic gate across the whole thing. Now we have a wide span of open concrete but still have enough green space. The green space APPEARS larger because of the open feel you get from having the gated driveway.

We love it!

I was going to suggest the gate as well. We have been thinking about that for a while, but not sure we REALLY want to fork out the $$$. They are not cheap. About $7K just for the gate part. However, I think it would be worth it if you really love to be outside. It will really make your backyard feel bigger. Let the kids mow. :)

rbrodner

Diamond Member
I was going to suggest the gate as well. We have been thinking about that for a while, but not sure we REALLY want to fork out the $$$. They are not cheap. About $7K just for the gate part. However, I think it would be worth it if you really love to be outside. It will really make your backyard feel bigger. Let the kids mow. :)
Hopefully that's a typo or you're talking to the wrong gate people. Should be more like $4-5k for 2-3 car wide gate.

Last edited:
When we were looking at moving to another house we were going to have this done as part of the building process. (didn't end up buying that house) I thought the quote for just the mechanism was around $2K-$2500. I was thinking we could get the whole thing done under $5K.

rbrodner

Diamond Member
When we were looking at moving to another house we were going to have this done as part of the building process. (didn't end up buying that house) I thought the quote for just the mechanism was around $2K-$2500. I was thinking we could get the whole thing done under $5K.
I just had mine built last fall and got quotes from 8-10 companies. Neighbor across the alley did the same about 3-6 months prior. Mine is 2 car, theirs 3 and both were under $4500.