baby with terrible reflux :(

Yasdnil

Silver Member
What worked for you??? We have tried zantac and prevacid (1/2, then whole tab). GI testing was good. Just wanted to hear what helped your baby if you have been through this. Thanks so much!

Last edited:
We tried a bunch of different ones, Zantac included, even Gripe water (which I would say is worth a try- it's more natural), but nothing really worked very well. My daughter did outgrow it pretty fast- by the time she was sitting up on her own, until then my husband would only hold her when he was in his non work clothes. Good luck to you. I hope you find something that works.

SleepyDad

Silver Member
We have had great success with natural apple cider vinegar and honey.

Vinegar is a strong base and neuralizes the acid. The honey makes it sweet to remove the bitterness.

Use the syringe that you would use to give them oral medicine. My 4 yr old would take 1 tsp. before bed.

Yasdnil

Silver Member
Thank you all!

We were on Zantac & Reglan, both liquid form, several times a day. Neither worked at all. Then we were on Prevacid, half a tab. Nothing. So then we tried and still use a full tab daily. Still nothing. I do believe I have figured out that she has a milk allergy since I notice the projectile spitting is the worst after I have had dairy products. I have completely taken them out of my diet. Poor little baby, I just want her to hurry & out grow this. I know it hurts her from the way she will arch her back :(
I read about how this woman swore that seeing a chiropractor helped her daughter??? Wonder how that helps?

bubear83

Bronze Member
Our little one has horrible acid reflux, and she is on Prevacid as well. These are a few things that helped us:

1. When she was being bottle fed, we stopped and burped her after every ounce. When she wasn't using the bottle, I stopped her every couple of minutes. This gave her tummy time to digest smaller amounts and REALLY helped. She didn't always burp; but, the point was to give her a momentary break. The downside; when she was hungry, she did not like being stopped.

2. We kept her upright for at least 20 minutes after she ate and never put her on her back. Let gravity do its thing.

3. We put two textbooks under two crib legs and created a very slight 10-15 degree incline, so she wasn't completely on her back.

4. We were told certain bottles make a difference. Don't know if this holds much truth. However, when a baby is screaming in agony at 4 a.m., I'm tempted to try any means.

I hope things improve for you guys! I know it's difficult to watch them in pain!!

Last edited:

Holly

Silver Member
Try a pediatric chiropractor.. misalignment caused by birth can cause digestive upset.. from what I have heard and read. I don't know that it will cure all.. but it did help my friends baby. :)

I have heard several people say chiropractic adjustment was the only thing that worked. Our pediatrician recommends it. You'll want to Choose One experienced with infants & children.

Icpa4kids.com

We used chiropractic for other reasons with wonderful outcomes.

Little E

Silver Member
We have had great success with natural apple cider vinegar and honey.

Vinegar is a strong base and neuralizes the acid. The honey makes it sweet to remove the bitterness.

Use the syringe that you would use to give them oral medicine. My 4 yr old would take 1 tsp. before bed.
Just a reminder that honey should never be given to infants under 1 year of age.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/infant-botulism/HQ00854
http://www.wisegeek.com/why-shouldnt-infants-eat-honey.htm

FDA has a recall on sleep positioners...

And while RES-Q wedge has submitted data regarding this for review, essentially the recall states " Using a positioner to hold an infant on his or her back or side for sleep is dangerous and unnecessary." As your baby grows reflux gets better as they get more mobile and have more monitored tummy time. And thats just from my experience. I would suggest you read more about this before you decide

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm227654.htm
and
http://www.cpsc.gov/onsafety/2010/09/sleep-positioners-a-suffocation-risk/

Thanks!

Yasdnil

Silver Member
And while RES-Q wedge has submitted data regarding this for review, essentially the recall states " Using a positioner to hold an infant on his or her back or side for sleep is dangerous and unnecessary." As your baby grows reflux gets better as they get more mobile and have more monitored tummy time. And thats just from my experience. I would suggest you read more about this before you decide

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm227654.htm
and
http://www.cpsc.gov/onsafety/2010/09/sleep-positioners-a-suffocation-risk/

Thanks!
Thank you!

baby acid reflux

Granddaughters had this and always slept in carseat (straped in)
in crib, playpen, buggy where they would be save. The elevation of the
carseat help prevent the spitups. They slept in carseat until spitting up
was no longer a problem. <><

Reflux

Viniger contains acetic acid.Even adults might get ulcer if it is not diluted. It will only aggregate the reflux issue. For babies younger than a year old breast milk, formula or plain water are the only fluids that doctors recommend. If the baby is not full let the baby have as much tummy time as she can have. The digestive system gets better as the baby develops strong upper body..I am not a medical expert. I am just a parent with a child who had reflux issues. We tried tucker sling for my son when he had reflux. Prevacid just treats the symptoms of the reflux. Reglan moves the food faster.But it is not recommended for long term use. We used Prevacid so it minimizes the heartburn due to reflux.

We used the car seat in the crib for a little while, then started using Simply Thick. It's a clear thickener originally used in liquids to keep patients from aspirating. We added half a packet of "nectar" to DS bottles. That, and a folded blanket lifting the head of his bed worked really well for him. We used it with formula, but I know moms who pumped and added it to their breast milk until they got past refluxing then went back to nursing exclusively. It might be worth checking it out with your pediatrician... just looked up website though, and if your baby was born before 37 weeks please don't use it!! http://www.simplythick.com/

OK here I go... :) I've raised two boys with silent reflux (both are almost 8 and 5). My oldest actually had a nissen when he was about 4 and it helped about 50 percent, but I'll take that. Neither rarely threw up - both choked and turned blue - my oldest continued to choke when he slept and I never would have known he was choking all night except for sleeping with him one night when he was sick.

Let me first say, it does get better. I will also say from experience - it is very hard and trying to have a baby that cries allot and is in pain. I always envied the moms who were able to wake up nurse and lay with their babies. Instead, I had an arching, choking, pissed off baby for a year straight and that was hard. Not to mention - they have chronic sinusitis and tend to get sick more often. Don't let anyone or any pediatrician tell you - feed them more, or, they're fine etc. we are their only advocates and we know what's going on with our child.

Medicine can prevent the acid part of the reflux, but if it's coming up the back of their esophagus and into their nose and mouths - it still hurts them and is scary for them. Anyway, as a mother who's been there done that - it is very hard and trying. Hugs to you and let your hubby know that you really need him now - everything he's got:)

Now, as far as what I did. I did have a wedge and used it until they got big. I laid them on their stomachs to prevent any choking on their refulx. I carried them in a baby bjorn all day long becuase they actually stayed somewhat comfortable in there. I learned to take care of an older one, do dishes, laundry etc. all with my child still attached:)

I used simply thick honey (sold at presbytarian plano) to thicken (I used a pack and a half). You will have to make the nipples bigger for them to get it down. I nursed for as long as I could the used Nutramigen (it's a broken down formula which is easier to digest).

Now, both of my boys are on a daily probiotic to help with their overall PH - they both still have reflux (both look healthy and are growing, but I know as their mother when they're not comfortable and their sleep habits are not great so, I try to get them in bed early).

The great thing is that I have become a healthier mom - done lots of research and now feed my children pretty healthy. Diet can prevent reflux when they're older. Good luck and hugs!!!!!

The resq wedge was designed by an occupational therapist along with doctors. It is something that is highly monitored with you and your baby, and obviously they go over all of those details with you. You of course would have to meet with the OT to even see if this is what you'd need. It's not something where you would just have your baby lay on their belly unattended. Sometimes some babies have reflux or pyloric stenosis and require surgery to correct. This wedge helps so that surgery is not necessarily needed.

Hope all is going well with your little one. I'm sure it's probably extremely frustrating and scary. I wouldn't know where to begin (my kids are all older). Good luck!

Another formula to consider is Good Start. It used to be made by Carnation, now it's a Gerber product. It is broken down like Nutramigen and costs less (at least is used to, don't know if it still does). We ended up switching DD to it from Alimentum and DS from Nutramigen. They just seemed to tolerate it better.