AT&T Giga Power question

Jayhawk

Gold Member
Does anyone in Frisco currently have the new AT&T Giga fiber?

They are just starting to put it into my subdivision and I was wondering a couple things about it.

Does it include fiber to the house like FIOS has? That that would be a benefit for me since I think my copper line got corrupted at some point. I don't have any service over it now since I am using TWC.

Do we know what pricing structure AT&T is giving us in Frisco? Early adopter discounts?

TYIA

Yes it is FTTH, and I believe their prices are posted online. I want to say it's like $160 for TV/Internet, but it's been a while since I saw the price. It's a bit expensive IMO, but the prices might come down when TWC finishes the MAXX expansions.

One thing you might try if you decide to pursue the service is mention that TWC has 300Mbps internet for $65/mo and see if they will come down on their Gigabit pricing, though I'm not sure if they will.

The criminals, thugs and incompetents at TimeWarner that have made our internet a living hell for the last couple of years and also made themselves the # 1 hated company in America have promised that they will be better in the future.

Opus

Silver Member
Just saw this quote in a article I was reading on another site:

"AT&T Gigabit pricing has another wrinkle: users will pay notably more for service if they opt-out of AT&T's Internet Preferences ad and user monitoring platform. Doing so can result in your AT&T bill being as much as $62 higher per month."

rbrodner

Diamond Member
You cannot get GigaPower without fiber to the home. It doesn't work over copper/dsl lines. I didn't know they were upgrading any homes to fiber.

Prices are $149 for 1Gbps and $119 for 100Mbps.

Jayhawk

Gold Member
I have it, it is fiber to the house, they install a VRAD (video-ready access device). I have the 300 Mbps service, its $87 a month if you don't opt out of the spy option (I kept my Dish so no video). The 1Gbps is $110 a month, I didn't get it because there's not much being transmitted at that speed, you can only go as fast as the slowest router or switch between you and your destination.
No discounts, I tried to get them to match Google Fibers price or even their price in Austin ($60) but they wouldn't budge and I have no other options over here (no TWC).

You will still need copper twisted pair from the house to the modem though.
Wes, you moved just in time. There is a big hole in your old front yard where they are shooting the horizontal bore from. They just started this week. Figure it will be a few weeks at least before they make it to my house.

TWC Signature here. Just had my 8 channel docsis modem swapped out for a 16. Not bad.jpg

Anyone with TWC Internet in 75035/75034/75033 should be asking TWC for a new modem if they lease one from TWC. Older modems won't support the newly provisioned speeds (that you are getting for free.)

I have 16 channels but no MAXX upgrade yet (I'm barely in 75070). I should be getting the upgrade in a few weeks.

Man, I'd be pi55ed at that. Took a lot of work to get that yard like that.
Giga power is good but it honestly doesn't seem much faster than TWC. Speed test are at 300 mbps all the time but in reality the internet doesn't go any faster unless you're downloading something and then theres the fine print, Theres a 1TB limit per month on total data downloaded or consumed
It depends on what you're using your connection for. FTTH will have very little bufferbloat, while TWC has huge buffbloat (where your latency spikes 10x while your pushing near the max allotted bandwidth.) So if you're downloading a large file at 300Mbps on TWC, your VoIP Phone service, or any other latency dependent application will be very slow. On Fiber, you will hardly notice anything if you're running at max bandwidth.

Also most FTTH deployments have symmetrical download/upload speeds, where as Cable (TWC) is asymmetrical and if you're using a lot of download bandwidth, your upload bandwidth will suffer greatly.

I would take Fiber over Cable any day.

Wish I could get Gigafiber. We moved last year from a part of Frisco that now has Gigafiber, but hopefully it will be here within the next few years.

Is there any sort of map or timetable on where and when they might install GigaPower in different neighborhoods in Frisco? Sort of like the mosquito-spraying map the city sends out.

I live in an older neighborhood that doesn't have fiber; however, the new subdivisions near Coit and Rolater across Coit from Independence High School do have it.

With a couple of teenagers playing online videogames on Xbox One's and Playstation 4's as well as Smart TVs, tablets and iPhones, my wifi doesn't have the bandwidth to support all these devices.

I've got Uverse's fastest non-GigaPower plan at 45 down and 5 up, but still my Netlfix buffers sometimes. With the Internet of Things upon us, I need more bandwidth.

A few weeks ago, I asked for Uverse's 802.11ac Residential Gateway, the Arris NV599, which has actually sped things up a bit. However, I am not sure how long the relief will last...especially when I'm watching 4K on Netflix.

If not AT&T's GigaPower, then I would be happy with Google Fiber or TWC Maxx. However, if our neighborhood doesn't have a fiber infrastructure, then it might be years before we make the transition.

Opus

Silver Member
It could actually be AT&T messing with Netflix and not your actual bandwidth problem. That is plenty of bandwidth for what you are doing. Are you doing everything wirelessly? If so, you should look at hardwiring any devices that are doing video such as Netflix. I used to have some problems and went to a wired solution and it solved all my Netflix issues.

rbrodner

Diamond Member
It could actually be AT&T messing with Netflix and not your actual bandwidth problem. That is plenty of bandwidth for what you are doing. Are you doing everything wirelessly? If so, you should look at hardwiring any devices that are doing video such as Netflix. I used to have some problems and went to a wired solution and it solved all my Netflix issues.
Or it could be Sony causing the Netflix buffering problem, if it's a Sony device you are using. They run Netflix through a proxy. I can get 14Mbps Netflix on my Panasonic and LG Blu-Ray players while my Sony's get 0.8Mbps at the same time. Meanwhile I can switch to Hulu or other services on my Sonys at the same time and they work fine with full 14Mbps streaming.

Is there any sort of map or timetable on where and when they might install GigaPower in different neighborhoods in Frisco? Sort of like the mosquito-spraying map the city sends out.

I live in an older neighborhood that doesn't have fiber; however, the new subdivisions near Coit and Rolater across Coit from Independence High School do have it.

With a couple of teenagers playing online videogames on Xbox One's and Playstation 4's as well as Smart TVs, tablets and iPhones, my wifi doesn't have the bandwidth to support all these devices.

I've got Uverse's fastest non-GigaPower plan at 45 down and 5 up, but still my Netlfix buffers sometimes. With the Internet of Things upon us, I need more bandwidth.

A few weeks ago, I asked for Uverse's 802.11ac Residential Gateway, the Arris NV599, which has actually sped things up a bit. However, I am not sure how long the relief will last...especially when I'm watching 4K on Netflix.

If not AT&T's GigaPower, then I would be happy with Google Fiber or TWC Maxx. However, if our neighborhood doesn't have a fiber infrastructure, then it might be years before we make the transition.
They have been working in the Plantation for awhile now. I live north of the Plantation between Rolator and College and they are just starting our area. I have no idea what the map is but they are starting to spread.

Opus

Silver Member
I run everything thru my Tivo box. I'm glad Grande turned on all the apps and don't turn them off like other companies. I ran into issues using wireless for streaming HD, my Skydog router isn't the best for this, so I switched the Tivo over to a powerline adapter and it works great now.

They have been working in the Plantation for awhile now. I live north of the Plantation between Rolator and College and they are just starting our area. I have no idea what the map is but they are starting to spread.
AT&T is rolling out GigaFiber anywhere in Frisco (only a few neighborhoods) that have Verizon FiOS. Outside of those neighborhoods, I think it will be a while before we see it anywhere else. Top priority for them is where competition is, and where executives live. Outside of that, there is no plan that has been publicly shared.

For those of you wanting faster speeds, any neighborhood in Frisco where you can get TWC (which should be most), you can get 300Mbps/20 (with over-provisioning it comes out to around 350/28) internet from TWC for $65/mo. I believe that's the same price, if not less than what I was being charged for 45/5 with AT&T.

I had UVerse internet for a few months, it was complete garbage. I switched to TWC and haven't looked back.

Hardwiring Uverse

Actually, I did just that. Both of my TVs are now hardwired. One is plugged directly into the RG, and the other one in the living room, the 4K TV, is on a 5-port Gigabit switcher, which I have the TV, cable box, AppleTV and DVD player plugged into.

It does work much better. I also heard from the AT&T tech who installed my new RG that to connect Uverse wirelessly to Samsung TVs that you should change the DNS manually to 8.8.8.8. I haven't tried that since the TVs are now hardwired.

just received my new NVG-599 modem replacing the 589. Was able to get 500 mb ac speed on it, on my Mac Book.
Running around 850mb download and 300 upload on Gigabit.
The new modem is faster than my ASUS AC router I paid 300 for, and supports IPv6.

Pretty good response, considering the firewall is on, TV's and recordings ongoing....

Simple upgrade that did not require a technician.