AP Human Geography Freshman year HS??

How-D-do!

Silver Member
Who has 9th graders currently taking this class? DS is getting ready to register. Have heard horror stories about the amount of homework required and am wondering if it's worth taking. DS is a very good student, active in athletics and band and will be taking everything else pre-AP. He's fine with trying the class, but I think it'll be taking on too much.

Thoughts?

Rebel

Diamond Member
Reb Jr says its worth taking and the homework isn't that bad as long as he can manage his time. He says keeping up on the work is important, don't get behind.

BTW, he's at Heritage. Not sure where your son will be.

mommyx2

Diamond Member
This year they are offering AP Human Geography.. I asked if it were an error and was to be Pre-AP and was told it is AP.

Every kid is different. Here's what you need to consider.

HS adjustment. It takes some time between being in HS to extracurricular to practices to A-B days to teachers to tests-homework. More than you or your kiddo can expect. Night & day diff from middle school.

Extra curricula's-band or sports takes more time than you think.

This class is a complete time/effort hog.

PreAP classes are very very time consuming and need to be treated as such. If your kid is like others, preAP: Bio, Spanish, geometry, English and AP H Geog an elective and extra curricula's. this is a very demanding type schedule.

I've been told AP Hum Geog same at every HS in FISD. NOT TRUE. Each teacher may be the difference but this class is a very demanding time consuming class. Was told this by current senior and told its not worth it. Takes away from all the preAP classes. Several freshman tried it, dropped it because of demands, grade & how it affects GPA and other classes grades. I know one class ALL dropped but 1 kid.

Simply put, it's not worth it. Especially if your student is heavy preAP and band/sports. Plus adjustment to HS. This class is AP & very college based. If a student can survive and test out with 3-4-5 on AP test then congrats & that is pay off.

As a parent you are going to have to be real honest and determine if your student is high academic, driven to stay up all hours if needed focus more on books than friends while balancing band sports and toss in possible extra tutorials???????? I'm sure other distractions.

Ask yourself what is goal of your student. Top 5%, 10%, 25%? Understand what that requires and competition you don't know anything about. There are on level classes and kids in those that will ACE those classes mix in 1 preAP and they are top 20 GPA. As freshman currently. It's early but all kinds of scenarios and examples of how to skin cat. Again what is goal?

Last note. If your kid isn't heavy preAP then I think AP HumGeog good. Benefits are bonus in AP test out. Just depends on how you attack HS. Go heavy early for easier Jr Sr yrs or spread out balance? Really plan ahead as best you can.

Long answer to your question but talk to as many students and parents currently in HS. Weed thru the BS to form a good opinion and plan. And GOOD LUCK.

How-D-do!

Silver Member
Thank you Village Idiot - I totally agree with you. What is hard is convincing HIM to understand that. He will be in all PAP classes (other than foreign lang which is just starting) and is 2 yrs ahead in math (PAP Alg II). I think adding this class will be his downfall. I was going to email his HS counselor and try to get someone else other than mom to give him the low-down...

Thank you Village Idiot - I totally agree with you. What is hard is convincing HIM to understand that. He will be in all PAP classes (other than foreign lang which is just starting) and is 2 yrs ahead in math (PAP Alg II). I think adding this class will be his downfall. I was going to email his HS counselor and try to get someone else other than mom to give him the low-down...
He's got a good start & might add starting language now could be challenge (we had 2 yrs Spanish in MS), based on trying to obtain high grade might require much more time/effort than expected. Mine in all PAP but 1 elective mixed in for a breather. 2 sports also. Mix in the awe of HS, girls & it's a lot to experience IMO as a Freshman. Doing great but again it's been an eyeopener. Wish someone had shared a little more of what I did with us last year this time though not sure we'd change anything, just more realistic view of what to expect.

I know some may think or say APHGEOG is OK or not bad but I wonder if their Frosh is taking a heavy PreAP class load?

I don't know about AP Geo but AP World is a load. My kid spends as much or more time on this one class than the rest of his Pre-AP schedule. I suppose you get out of it what you put in. It is also one of his favorite classes. Be prepared for heavy reading and class prep. It resembles a college course in that regard.

I was in the same boat as you last year. My daughter is a 9th grader this year, good student - all pre-ap, band, first year foreign language. She was determined to do this class - lots of peer pressure and I was feeling the same way you are - settle in, make the adjustment, etc. We finally agreed that if it was too much after 6 weeks she would drop back. The other thing that I tried to use to sway her was that for AP classes (as opposed to dual credit when they are seniors) they have to pass the test not just the class to get the college credit. Also, this is one of the AP classes that not all colleges even accept (somewhere on the college board website it shows if specific colleges even accept it).

She has done fine in the class grade-wise - though the instructor has graded some major grades on a curve - which is outrageous to me in high school. I keep telling her that there won't be curve on the credit exam. The class is a lot of reading and note taking -but she has managed it.

Her MS and HS counselor were not helpful in making the decision - probably better to talk to one of his current teachers. Also, my daughter was able to talk to some older girls last year and get a better feel for overall class load, how much time band would take, etc.

Are you registering for high school already? How? Is it already happening? Where did you get the info? We have an 8th grader and have not received any paperwork of the kind. Maybe we are missing something or he forgot to bring? Please let me know how you are getting information about high school registration so that I can understand if I need to dig more on our end.

How-D-do!

Silver Member
Are you registering for high school already? How? Is it already happening? Where did you get the info? We have an 8th grader and have not received any paperwork of the kind. Maybe we are missing something or he forgot to bring? Please let me know how you are getting information about high school registration so that I can understand if I need to dig more on our end.
Well, last night was Rising Freshman night at all the high schools - Principal spoke, met the counselors, see all the clubs and activities. The counselors started making the rounds at middle schools 2 weeks ago and they brought home a ton of info. We had the HS counselors at our middle school 2 Fridays ago to talk with the parents. Son's 4 yr plan is due this Friday - course changes can be made until May 9. I'd give your school counselor a call asap!!!

Well, last night was Rising Freshman night at all the high schools - Principal spoke, met the counselors, see all the clubs and activities. The counselors started making the rounds at middle schools 2 weeks ago and they brought home a ton of info. We had the HS counselors at our middle school 2 Fridays ago to talk with the parents. Son's 4 yr plan is due this Friday - course changes can be made until May 9. I'd give your school counselor a call asap!!!
Thanks for the info. My husband went to the orientation last night (this is for my stepson so our dynamic is a bit different) but he did not bring any info back. I'll have to follow up now because we have seen NOTHING brought home at all (but our kid tends to forget stuff in his locker so there is no way of knowing that we should have seen this).

How-D-do!

Silver Member
I was in the same boat as you last year. My daughter is a 9th grader this year, good student - all pre-ap, band, first year foreign language. She was determined to do this class - lots of peer pressure and I was feeling the same way you are - settle in, make the adjustment, etc. We finally agreed that if it was too much after 6 weeks she would drop back.

Her MS and HS counselor were not helpful in making the decision - probably better to talk to one of his current teachers. Also, my daughter was able to talk to some older girls last year and get a better feel for overall class load, how much time band would take, etc.
This is exactly what we finally decided last night (6 week trial). DH really wants him to have an easier schedule, but ALL of his peers are taking ALL the higher level classes. He's going to have to realize for himself if it works or not. My issue is that not only may it not be an acceptable credit in college, it's a (in my opinion) boring topic that I hate that he has to take the time to memorize all that stuff. Let's pick something a little more useful to make the Freshman break their necks on.

And yes, the counselors were no help. His middle school counselor said he should "talk to a counselor" and the high school one really didn't help us make a decision "it's all about time management" was the basics of it. We've gotten better info from FOL and from asking around other current HS students and their parents.

mommyx2

Diamond Member
Please check the website for your HS. Most of the schools have the presentation online for parents.

I went to Centennial last night andon the lower right side by the Counselor Corner they have a link to the information.

My son is in it right now and it is hard, but not unmanageable. He is also in all other PAP classes, except foreign language. It is on level with a community college/jr. college class IMO. My son does find it interesting though and if he is not interested that is when he does not do well. He can change his schedule after the first 6 weeks if it is too much for him.