Anyone have a child who out of the blue developed motion sickness?

Both of my kids travel from Mckinney to Richardson/Dallas for school. The last 3 days of school my dd has vomited just as they were getting to school. She is fine before she heads off for school and after I get her home and clean everything up she is back to normal. She had thursday and friday off no problems at all. Never acted sick or complained. Then this am it happened again.

I plan on giving her a very bland small breakfast tomorrow and driving her myself instead of using the carpool. I have asked her if anything is bothering her at school, if she is anxious or nervous about something, She says no. She is my easy go lucky happy girl. This is the first time she has puked since she was an infant.

angelaN

Platinum Member
Concussion?

Our child had a mild head bonk. We didn't realize the concussion until the motion sickness started.

The motion sickness started about 4 days after the head injury.

My DS did

10 year old DS has motion sickness in only some cars, and only in some seats. For instance he can ride in DH's Jeep if the windows are down in any seat and be fine. If the windows are up, he gets sick unless he rides in the middle of the back seat with the air blowing full force on him. He never got sick in my older SUV, no matter where he rode. In smaller sports cars he gets sick unless he rides in the front seat.
It's also worse if he eats something sugary right before, such as kids' cereal for breakfast, or sno cones or Slurpees during the day.
When his allergies cause him to get even the slightest bit stuffy, it's even worse.

Try having her ride with the air blowing right on her, make sure she's not reading or looking backwards to talk to friends while she's in the car, and have a breakfast that's not too sugary. See if she can also sit as close to the front of the car as safely possible.

roberts933

Bronze Member
Along with everyone else's ideas....my thought...is she reading or on a mobile device while you're driving? The only times I've gotten car sick are when I've been reading.

If all else fails and there is no reason found, try a ginger capsule with breakfast. My older has horrid migraines and has motion sickness that goes along with that. Ginger has solved the motion sickness issue for us completely.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and suggestions. She has been riding in the same spot same car for 2 years. I gave her a very bland breakfast and her dad is driving this morning, so far so good. She doesn't read in the car.

I am a little worried about the migraine issue. She has not complained about a headache but I have read that motion sickness can be the first sign and migraines can follow later. I have migraines and I know there is a genetic component.

Thanks for the ginger advice. The pedi suggested maybe dramamine if it doesn't resolve. She would be a zombie if I gave her that.

binbunch

Platinum Member
What about one of those bracelets that you can wear also for sea sickness? Also, I don't know how old your daughter is, but could it be hormones? My 13 year old gets bouts of dizziness and my pediatrician said its puberty with her hormones flipping out and that as she ages and her hormones level out, it will decline and eventually disappear.

What about one of those bracelets that you can wear also for sea sickness? Also, I don't know how old your daughter is, but could it be hormones? My 13 year old gets bouts of dizziness and my pediatrician said its puberty with her hormones flipping out and that as she ages and her hormones level out, it will decline and eventually disappear.
OMG I hope not she is 7 but going on 14. I totally forgot about the bracelets. I have a pair I think.

I have a pair of the motion sickness bracelets that you could try out. Let me know.
I forgot I have a pair. Just have to find them.

She did fine this morning in my dh's car. Tomorrow I am going to send her in carpool. She also has a field trip tomorrow. Crossing my fingers everything goes okay.