Another Police story...

lucas mccain

Triple Platinum
So how should this one been handled?
Is this just a case of two people having a bad day, or was the officer doing the reasonably right thing?

Officer arrests 77yr old

This is the main reason why I never argue with an officer. But the officer sure wasted more time and resources than necessary.

I'd say the cop handled himself very well. I'd have tased her arse! Just because you become a certain age doesn't mean you no longer have to follow instructions. She was in the wrong, not the cop.

angelaN

Platinum Member
I suppose he thinks he "commands" respect just because he is a police officer? He behaved very poorly and I would dearly hate to see how he treats criminals who he thinks commit serious offenses. I hope they review his record.
This whole thing escalated because he wouldn't let her finish a sentence and she wrongly believed she had rights and should be treated decently.

Sticky Davis

Double Platinum
Yep I saw the video on the news last night. The woman was just plain wrong in not complying with the officer's simple instructions. She initially refused to show her drivers license. And then she said just take me to jail - but then was surprised that he actually did. The officer did the best he could in the situation. Just because you're old doesn't give you a right to be a ***** to a LEO.

I think they were both very wrong on this one. She started it by not giving him her driver's license and being belligerent toward him. He overreacted a bit instead of trying to calm her down. I hope he wouldn't have overreacted had she not been the way she was.

The bottom line is she was wrong first and caused the escalation.

I suppose he thinks he "commands" respect just because he is a police officer? He behaved very poorly and I would dearly hate to see how he treats criminals who he thinks commit serious offenses. I hope they review his record.
This whole thing escalated because he wouldn't let her finish a sentence and she wrongly believed she had rights and should be treated decently.
I have taught my children to instantly give respect to anyone in authority, especially police officers. They are putting their lives on the line every single day they walk out the door, and I appreciate all that they do for me, my children and our community in protecting us. I was always raised to "respect the badge".

Every police officer that I have ever dealt with, has always thanked me, wether giving me a ticket or warning, for being polite to them.

Kill 'em with kindness.

angelaN

Platinum Member
I have taught my children to be polite because it is in their best interest. Respect is earned and not demanded no matter what your title or your bank account says.

This officer earned my contempt. I most certainly would have complied.

I would hate to see this officer in a hostage situation he did not respond with a cool head and escalating a situation unnecessarily makes his job far more dangerous.

They were both in the wrong but he could have taken control simply by letting her finish her sentence.

The officer was in the right here. He simply asked for her driver's license. She said how she was in such a hurry, but was in no hurry to give him her driver's license. You do not have an option to provide identification when you are operating a motor vehicle on a public roadway.

The look on her face was PRICELESS when she said to go ahead and take her to jail and he proceeded to do so. :)

He was respectful to her, even when pulling her out of the car and cuffing her.

I can't stand police brutality, but there was none of that seen here.

I’m always respectful of anyone with a gun but particularly police officers. I have even thanked a police officer for his service after having just been given a ticket.

I do think there are some that are on power trips though. A couple weeks ago before the right lane opened on the northbound side of 423 @ Main, there was a terrible accident and there were fire trucks and police cars everywhere. Traffic was at a complete standstill in the left lane and the right lane was blocked off with a sign that said it wasn’t yet open for traffic but I saw a bunch of cars cutting around the sign and using the right lane anyhow.

I had no way to know if the police officer had directed them to do this or not and I followed these cars. Most of the cars cruised right through but then the police officer started stopping every single car and yelling at them for disregarding the sign, then after yelling at them, he would let them proceed, then the next car would pull up, he’d yell at them, and then let them proceed. Over and over.

When it was finally my turn, he yelled at me but chose to make an example of me and unlike the other cars, he made me sit there instead of letting me go. All the cars behind me were having to wait also. It was about a 45 minute wait and then he finally allowed us to merge back in on the other side. And I had been NICE, I’m sure much nicer than some of the other drivers that he had let go on thru. Imagine if I had been rude.

All this time while we were waiting, I had to go to the bathroom so bad and my passenger told me just to get out and run up to the gas station which wasn’t that far up the road, and he would watch the car. I was like heck no, I’ll pee my pants if I have to, I’m not gonna get shot in the back by this Little Elm police officer. I don’t think it’s real smart to tick off anybody with a gun, especially a police officer that is already ticked at everybody anyway.

Where does one begin with all the things that are wrong here? In the black and white, it seems simple. She didn't comply, and he arrested her, as was his "right".

A lot has changed in 77 years. Cops don't treat people with respect anymore. Not that all cops always did back then. When dealing with a regular, non-criminal type citizen, cops used to be pretty respectful, though. Now they just get all crappy when anyone that gives them an opening. Certainly, a 77 year old lady, that probably has never done anything criminally in her life, would expect a little respect from a guy who's salary is paid by her taxes. "I'm old, paid tons of taxes in my life, and gotta go pee because I have a bladder infection, can I get a little patience and understanding??" Nope, off to jail with ya, BECAUSE I CAN. It's a bunch of horse doody.

scraven68

Silver Member
I'd say the cop handled himself very well. I'd have tased her arse! Just because you become a certain age doesn't mean you no longer have to follow instructions. She was in the wrong, not the cop.
http://youtu.be/E1wmpm6v0Yc

I prefer to see these UNCUT videos that show the full story/stop, than the cut up ones just made to show the "cop on attack"!

I also can surely understand why some officers would be "on edge"...whether their stop was elderly or not.

http://youtu.be/4PSE-EBKPls

http://youtu.be/rgqrt67CP7U

http://youtu.be/rgXQK3NfRY4

http://youtu.be/-YjwlLLmW6Y

http://youtu.be/8AvjMd-u79E

A lot of people these days want to challenge their "rights" with the officer. I was an intern at a Sheriffs dept back in Indiana, and did several ride alongs with deputies as part of the training.

The one thing that he taught me that most folks need to do is simply not act suspicious or talk back. The roadside is NOT the place to debate the ticket, or whatever. If the officer has determined he is going to give you a ticket, arguing about it with him will only escalate the situation. Take the ticket and go to court to challenge it.

Also simply complying with the officer in most cases or showing a little respect will go a long way. You don't have to give up your constitutional rights, but even a power tripping officer, will be nice if he is shown respect most times. Sometimes the "bad" ones get gratified by the respect and are a little lenient. Yes, you may have to suck up his power trip, but it beats the alternative.

I never pursued the position with the the Sheriff Dept, mainly due to the low pay, politics of the job, and seeing what these guys had to endure for 6 months of ride alongs, busting the same people for the same thing over and over again, like a revolving door. ANd went into the AF instead.

I have been stopped a few times over the years in many different states. Mostly for speeding. I usually KNOW I am in the wrong, and have no reason to challenge or argue with the officer that made the stop. I don't recall EVER being stopped for anything bogus. It was pertty much always a mistake I had made, so they were in the right for stopping me.

As I pull over, I will pull as FAR as possible off the road as is safe. I will turn off the radio, lower ALL my windows as they are tinted in the back, so the officer can see inside easily, and if dark will turn on the dome light. Then placing BOTH my hands on the steering wheel until he approaches the vehicle. Not making ANY moves for the wallet or glove box etc until he requests me to produce my license and registration etc. Then moving slowly to do so. I always used respect by saying yes sir/maam or yes officer. Doing these little things has ALWAYS gotten me off. I would tell them about my internship years ago, sometimes that helped me out, lol, not gonna lie, and they would appreciate all I did for their safety and understanding the things that make them jumpy and nervous. Every traffic stop is different. Sometimes they can turn into something really big as you can see in the above videos and millions of others on YouTube.

I guess what I am saying is, people can HATE the cops for whatever reason, or love them, but they are doing a really tough job, not a job that many people would WANT or be able to do in most cases. They deal with a LOT more disrespect and hate than many other professions, simply because they are in authority, or ruin your day by enforcing the laws. But that seems to be the norm today, to question authority and cause trouble.

The one time I actually received a ticket was on 635 in Mesquite. Everyone was in hyperspeed, and I was in the outside left lane. Came over a rise and hello! There was a Constable leaning out his drivers door on the left shoulder with a laser. As soon as I passed him his door closed and the lights came on. I made my way over to the right shoulder as safely and quickly as I could. He came up, we spoke pleasantly, he took my license etc, and swiped it and I had the ticket in my hand in seconds. He treated me nicely, and thanked me for pulling over immediately and to the safer area of the road. I told him, I knew he had me dead to rights, and just wanted to make it as quick and easy as possible. He handed me the ticket and said be safe, and i told him to do the same! I didn't argue with him, whine about how everyone else was goign just as fast etc etc, or get out of the car and yell obscenities at him or get in his face.

I understand there are "bad cops" out there, but there are many good ones too. If we treat them all with a modicum of repsect, then possibly things can get better. But also, I think the taser will start to get people to thinking about following the officers lawful commands rather than bickering or being confrontational. A lot of videos on YouTube show the moment the taser is being used, and then the outcry. But many do not show the FULL stop or what led up to the tasing.

I think the officers are trained well WHEN to use the taser, and any cop who KNOWS his dash cam is rolling is certainly not going to use it intentionally inapproprately. I can pretty much tell you that yelling obscenities at an officer, and pushing him near a busy highway, when he tells you to get back 20 times, is probably going to get you a ride on the lightning.

Bottom line is show respect even if it hurts your pride or ego to be intimidated by "the man". Save all that other crap for the courtroom and let it be decided there.

I swear if many people who whined about the police simply rode with them for a couple of weekends a month, and saw what really goes on in an 8-12 hour shift, regardless of time of day, they would really get an insight that would make them rethink their opinions of police officers.

ETA: What is really shocking is some of the comments on the above videos! Seriously some of them are sickening. I know it is mostly internet anonymous idiots, but to say some of the things they do really shows what America has become. :bad:

Last edited:
As I pull over, I will pull as FAR as possible of the road as is safe. I will turn off the radio, lower ALL my windows as they are tinted in the back, so the officer can see inside easily, and if dark will turn on the dome light. Then placing BOTH my hands on the steering wheel until he approaches the vehicle. Not making ANY moves for the wallet or glove box etc until he requests me to produce my license and registration etc. Then moving slowly to do so. I always used respect by saying yes sir/maam or yes officer. Doing these little things has ALWAYS gotten me off.
+1
I do this too...pretty much exactly. Except in the hot summertime, the first thing I say is "I'm sorry for having to make you get out of your car in this terrible heat for such a stupid thing." In the winter, same thing...
I've been pulled over lots of times. The only time I got a ticket was when a motorcycle cop pulled me over and it was raining. No sweet talking was getting me out of that one. ;)

sjdfw

Silver Member
The only time I've ever gotten out of a ticket, I had no reason to get out of it. He pulled me over and my inspection stickers were something like....2 years out of date. He asked me why, I said I really had no reason other than I just procrastinate. He told me to get tires first, they wouldn't pass an inspection, then get an inspection and that was it.

Sticky Davis

Double Platinum
I've come up with a sure fire approach to get out of speeding tickets here in Frisco (3 times now) - but I'm not going to share it with you losers ;) Because then it won't work for me anymore - and FPD (a few over there are on FOL) will read these posts and they'll bust me because I deserve it for being such a smart ***.

(I've got money saved up for my next ticket. I'm due, so I won't complain when it happens and I will be the most polite person they pull over all week. I really do respect these police officers and sincerely appreciate what they do for us.)

ETA - and nope my approach doesn't involve lying. I don't lie to LEO's. And I'm not sure if they lady on the video really needed to use the restroom - that's the oldest excuse in the book.)

Last edited:
If the police officer had pulled over a 20 something year old guy and he reacted the same way as this woman did, this would not even be an issue. Everybody has a fit when police "profile" but this police officer treated this lady the same as he would have treated a 20 year old guy. He did his job regardless of the person, good for him.

Last edited:

canam

Bronze Member
LMAO ... this video was hilarious. I don't blame the cop one bit in this instance, that mouthy old bag deserved everything she got.

I fail to see how the videos that were posted relate to the current story at all. In a couple of those videos, you can see plenty that the officers failed to do, especially when you have a stop involving drugs.

I can see why cops NEED to be on alert. It's the times when they aren't cautious enough, that they get shot.

I have great respect for the officers on patrol, and am certainly not a hater of cops. And I am compliant with officers when pulled over.

All that being said, it's pretty easy to see that this PARTICULAR traffic stop was escalated by the officer's own lack of patience and understanding. I don't think that everybody has been properly trained on what an officer expects you to do when he stops you. We don't all fall face first on the ground and hold our hands behind our backs. I bet this guy immediately kicks his dog when it doesn't respond exactly as it should, or smacks his kid for talking back.

The woman was WRONG WRONG WRONG, to refuse to give her license immediately upon request. A little niceness goes a long way, and doesn't that go both ways? So she didn't comply as she should have, does that mean you jump right to yelling at her and jerking her out of the car? Is that how you want your granny to be treated?

Although I don't think this officer should be subjected to any disciplinary action, I do think he could have been nicer, and I think that's what is really evident in the video. That's all.

http://youtu.be/E1wmpm6v0Yc

I prefer to see these UNCUT videos that show the full story/stop, than the cut up ones just made to show the "cop on attack"!

I also can surely understand why some officers would be "on edge"...whether their stop was elderly or not.

http://youtu.be/4PSE-EBKPls

http://youtu.be/rgqrt67CP7U

http://youtu.be/rgXQK3NfRY4

http://youtu.be/-YjwlLLmW6Y

http://youtu.be/8AvjMd-u79E

A lot of people these days want to challenge their "rights" with the officer. I was an intern at a Sheriffs dept back in Indiana, and did several ride alongs with deputies as part of the training.

The one thing that he taught me that most folks need to do is simply not act suspicious or talk back. The roadside is NOT the place to debate the ticket, or whatever. If the officer has determined he is going to give you a ticket, arguing about it with him will only escalate the situation. Take the ticket and go to court to challenge it.

Also simply complying with the officer in most cases or showing a little respect will go a long way. You don't have to give up your constitutional rights, but even a power tripping officer, will be nice if he is shown respect most times. Sometimes the "bad" ones get gratified by the respect and are a little lenient. Yes, you may have to suck up his power trip, but it beats the alternative.

I never pursued the position with the the Sheriff Dept, mainly due to the low pay, politics of the job, and seeing what these guys had to endure for 6 months of ride alongs, busting the same people for the same thing over and over again, like a revolving door. ANd went into the AF instead.

I have been stopped a few times over the years in many different states. Mostly for speeding. I usually KNOW I am in the wrong, and have no reason to challenge or argue with the officer that made the stop. I don't recall EVER being stopped for anything bogus. It was pertty much always a mistake I had made, so they were in the right for stopping me.

As I pull over, I will pull as FAR as possible off the road as is safe. I will turn off the radio, lower ALL my windows as they are tinted in the back, so the officer can see inside easily, and if dark will turn on the dome light. Then placing BOTH my hands on the steering wheel until he approaches the vehicle. Not making ANY moves for the wallet or glove box etc until he requests me to produce my license and registration etc. Then moving slowly to do so. I always used respect by saying yes sir/maam or yes officer. Doing these little things has ALWAYS gotten me off. I would tell them about my internship years ago, sometimes that helped me out, lol, not gonna lie, and they would appreciate all I did for their safety and understanding the things that make them jumpy and nervous. Every traffic stop is different. Sometimes they can turn into something really big as you can see in the above videos and millions of others on YouTube.

I guess what I am saying is, people can HATE the cops for whatever reason, or love them, but they are doing a really tough job, not a job that many people would WANT or be able to do in most cases. They deal with a LOT more disrespect and hate than many other professions, simply because they are in authority, or ruin your day by enforcing the laws. But that seems to be the norm today, to question authority and cause trouble.

The one time I actually received a ticket was on 635 in Mesquite. Everyone was in hyperspeed, and I was in the outside left lane. Came over a rise and hello! There was a Constable leaning out his drivers door on the left shoulder with a laser. As soon as I passed him his door closed and the lights came on. I made my way over to the right shoulder as safely and quickly as I could. He came up, we spoke pleasantly, he took my license etc, and swiped it and I had the ticket in my hand in seconds. He treated me nicely, and thanked me for pulling over immediately and to the safer area of the road. I told him, I knew he had me dead to rights, and just wanted to make it as quick and easy as possible. He handed me the ticket and said be safe, and i told him to do the same! I didn't argue with him, whine about how everyone else was goign just as fast etc etc, or get out of the car and yell obscenities at him or get in his face.

I understand there are "bad cops" out there, but there are many good ones too. If we treat them all with a modicum of repsect, then possibly things can get better. But also, I think the taser will start to get people to thinking about following the officers lawful commands rather than bickering or being confrontational. A lot of videos on YouTube show the moment the taser is being used, and then the outcry. But many do not show the FULL stop or what led up to the tasing.

I think the officers are trained well WHEN to use the taser, and any cop who KNOWS his dash cam is rolling is certainly not going to use it intentionally inapproprately. I can pretty much tell you that yelling obscenities at an officer, and pushing him near a busy highway, when he tells you to get back 20 times, is probably going to get you a ride on the lightning.

Bottom line is show respect even if it hurts your pride or ego to be intimidated by "the man". Save all that other crap for the courtroom and let it be decided there.

I swear if many people who whined about the police simply rode with them for a couple of weekends a month, and saw what really goes on in an 8-12 hour shift, regardless of time of day, they would really get an insight that would make them rethink their opinions of police officers.

ETA: What is really shocking is some of the comments on the above videos! Seriously some of them are sickening. I know it is mostly internet anonymous idiots, but to say some of the things they do really shows what America has become. :bad:

I have to say I completely agree with you, sometimes they do use their force for no reason. I have never encounter a jerk like this.
He really didn't need to be so overreacting, but after I researched a little deep about this video, instead of taking her to jail, he called the chief officer and they end up releasing her at the scene.

When cops pull me over I usually turn my recording device on, just so I have it for my records, but have never (and hopefully won't) had any troubles with these officers.

It is sad to see some of these videos where people would get away with just a speeding ticket and they end up choosing the violent way and going to jail for something a lot bigger.

I hope to never find a power trip officer, but I mostly think they become aggravated when they are challenged by the citizens.

Give respect if you want to be respected. There are reason to be rude with them.

Last edited: