Am I making my husband a "girly man" as I'm accused of?

Trixi

Double Platinum
He's always telling me that I'm making him a girly man....Here are a few examples that he cites:

- When he takes a bath each night, he smells girly afterward. Well, its really not MY fault he prefers my products to his. Right? He does say at least I don't select flowery, sweet smelling stuff. (Evidently his construction worker people notice LOL)

- I like ambient lighting, so I have awesome backlit wall hangings and other lovely ambient lighting thhings around our home. And naturally, candles are a must. Oh, guys you actually have to light the candles :)

- I absolutely insist on high-count sheets

- I insist on color within our home (art, throw pillows, comforters, etc...) He's not a freaking beige only bachelor now.

He contends that since he likes all these things now, that I've turned him into a girly man? I don't think so. Keep in mind, we absolutely do not have flowery, pastely stuff, nor prissy accessories - all cool comtempary items.

MSJ

Triple Platinum
there is nothing wrong with high thread count sheets, the rest of it could be considered metro sexual. That's the PC term for girly man.

Trixi

Double Platinum
That's what I said to him! But, since he works construction and refuses to have his guys do any manual labor that he won't do himself, he is also a mentor to the young people, he comes home sore and tired - not a young chicken anymore :) So, he likes to soak and read in a bath. A hot tub would work better for him, I'm thinking

I always feel sorry for guys having to deal with derogatory labels like "girly man" while I'm free to do whatever. But then I don't really care how people label me, lol. And what is wrong with a hot bath? Men can have sore muscles too, especially after moving around all that furniture I find on Craigslist... :)

Hot tubs are awesome, you should put one in your new house. Soaking in the hot tub after a workout or yoga class is heaven.

Sticky Davis

Double Platinum
I average 5-10 hot baths a year. Nothing better than a soak in a really, really hot bath (for my old aching back) while reading a novel and drinking a beer (seriously - give it a try guys. I had a hot tub in my last house - but now I don't, so this is my poor man's substitute.)

So I won't be considered as a "girly man" I sometimes put down my harlequin novel for a few minutes and think about nothing but football and sex. (Okay kidding about harlequin novels but I've been known to diversify my manly reading - which is mostly crime and legal novels - with other more romantic authors like Anita Shreve, Nicholas Sparks and Jodi Picoult.)

And there is nothing better than sheets with 1000 -1500 thread counts. Once I was able to make a decent living, I haven't slept on anything but Egyptian cotton sheets when possible.

GRIZZLYMAN

Triple Platinum
To reverse the effects;

1) Buy him some scent free soap and shampoo. He should only bathe when you can smell him or after a manly workout.

2) Hang some dead animals on the wall. If you have an aversion to this, antlers and/or animal skulls will do.

3) Repaint the interior of the house in earth tone colors. Furniture to match.

4) Hang some Gary Carter (CAA artist) paintings in the house.

5) Put some free weights in front of the fire place. See number 1 above for use.

6) Put some ammo boxes, fly rods, or camoflage in strategic places in the house.

This should work, because it describes my house, and I'm not anywhere near being a girly man.

rawhide

Diamond Member
Manly men primarily took baths, before indoor plumbing.

If he likes a bath, good for him, at least he is bathing on a daily basis and removing the body odor funk.

Ain't nothing manly about body funk, back hair so thick you could braid it, ape feet and toenails, polyester sheets or no sheets for that matter, cinder blocks and 2 x 4's as bookcases, or my favorite, "Yea, these don't smell that bad and I can wear them one more day".

Nothing wrong with being metro-sexual.

Metro please over the men featured in "The People of Wal-Mart".

Trixi

Double Platinum
Sticky - he is DEFINITELY drinking a beer while he soaks!

Grizzly - thats about what his "decorating" was. I just "fixed" it to make it work for both of us

:)

Sticky Davis

Double Platinum
Sticky - he is DEFINITELY drinking a beer while he soaks!
That's good Trixi - then I can hang out with you guys. I'm very picky about the metrosexuals that I hang out with ;)

I give "man points" to any guy who has a job that requires bathing after work - much more manly than those wusses that have jobs that require bathing BEFORE work LOL.

That's good Trixi - then I can hang out with you guys. I'm very picky about the metrosexuals that I hang out with ;)

I give "man points" to any guy who has a job that requires bathing after work - much more manly than those wusses that have jobs that require bathing BEFORE work LOL.
If you're dirty enough that you need to hygiene after work, why would you take a bath? Seems to me like taking a bath is laying around in a puddle of your own filth.

Sticky Davis

Double Platinum
If you're dirty enough that you need to hygiene after work, why would you take a bath? Seems to me like taking a bath is laying around in a puddle of your own filth.
It depends on how filthy you are - but I tend to agree with you. I'm a shower guy myself - often twice a day. But I still do enjoy a bath once in awhile for therapeutic benefits - though I usually take a 2 minute rinse off shower as I'm leaving the tub for the very reasons you describe obryankl (and to wash my hair as well.)

mridgley

Triple Platinum
Manly men primarily took baths, before indoor plumbing.

If he likes a bath, good for him, at least he is bathing on a daily basis and removing the body odor funk.

Ain't nothing manly about body funk, back hair so thick you could braid it, ape feet and toenails, polyester sheets or no sheets for that matter, cinder blocks and 2 x 4's as bookcases, or my favorite, "Yea, these don't smell that bad and I can wear them one more day".

Nothing wrong with being metro-sexual.

Metro please over the men featured in "The People of Wal-Mart".
You mean your bar of soap doesn't look like an orangutan used it?

I don't even fit in a bathtub...so that presents a logistical problem.

Bed sheet count? What is this? I guess it beats a picnic table...