Am I expecting too much out of my nanny?

She is a live in nanny and does awsome when it comes to cleaning and cooking, but.....I'm iffy about her MAIN job which is looking after my 22 month old. She is with her from 9am-6pm and mainly sits my daughter in front of the tv half the time. She does taker her on a buggy ride in the mornings and sits in a chair and swings her after breakfast. My daughter takes a 3hr nap so she's only actually with her 6hrs total and she goes to MDO Tuesday/Thursday's so I just don't understand why she's not more involved with my daughter. Her playing consists of sitting in a chair in my daughter's play room, talking on the phone and watching her play by herself. She is on the phone 80% of the day. She does show love and caring, but.....just wish she'd play with her more.

So........your thoughts?

GypsyMom

I would not put up with all the phone use. But no one can replace a mom either- in the end it's a job to her, you can't buy love!

mars

I would have a conversation with your nanny asap and set some new ground rules. We have a live out nanny and she is with our baby from 9-6 too. I told her from the get go I didn't want my son watching tv at all. That's a big one for me - no tv. I also told her if she needed talk on her cell phone it was OK every once in a while and only when necessary. If I saw her on the phone 80% of the day I would tell her I thought she was spending too much time on the phone. As far as not interacting with your daughter, I would bring that up too. Just be honest and tell the nanny you would feel better if she was more involved and interacted more with your daughter.

angelaN

Platinum Member
Is your child happy and engaged??

No one will do it like you but it does sound like she is on the phone too much.

It has also been unbearable hot so maybe she will do more when it cools off.

NottaName

Diamond Member
Honest questions, not attacking in any way. The answers will drive my response.

How do you know how much time she spends on the phone? How do you know your almost 2 year old is spending so much time watching TV?

bluesea718

Double Platinum
Yikes

Didn't you just hire her? I saw your ad for the nanny position and that it was filled, just a couple of weeks ago.

I think the position specified pay of $700/week plus room/board. To get a quality person, I think you're going to have to pay a little more.

I think you need to fire this chick....tout suite.

~Me~

Talk DIRECTLY to the nanny about your expectations. Include suggested activities. Heck, even inform her that one of your family rules is 1 hour of TV/day for kiddos.

"Didn't you just hire her? I saw your ad for the nanny position and that it was filled, just a couple of weeks ago. I think the position specified pay of $700/week plus room/board. To get a quality person, I think you're going to have to pay a little more."

yes, we just hired her and we did tell her after a trial period of 30 days her salary would increase, but.....she hasn't met our expectations so I'm not willing to increase her salary until she can :)

If I read your ad correctly it stated $700/month not per week....not sure what you consider your "rent" but when we used to rent out a room it was $500 a month. Based on a 4 week month -- with 5 days a week at 9 hours a day (45hrs/wk) you are paying someone less then $7 dollars an hour to take care of your most precious treasure....You end up getting what you pay for in my opinion,and should consider yourself lucky if you can also get her to clean for you and watch your child/children....
Now, if its $700 a week, then nanny needs to get off the phone and start doing her job!

I don't think you just up and fire her. She needs first to have an open conversation about your expectations...very CLEAR...and then a chance to remedy her mistakes. Give her 30 days, and if she doesn't make the changes, then I think replacing her would be fair.

And I agree with the above poster- if you're only paying her $700/month to not only care for your child but cook and clean... even with R&B she's getting the short end of the stick.

I remember the posting in Jobs and I thought to myself "good luck with that" . $700/month to cook, clean and care for your little one.

I realize that includes R&B, but you're going to get what you pay for.

it's not 9 hrs/day, 5 days/wk.....she goes to MDO 2 days/wk and when she's home takes 3hr naps. so it's actually 35 hrs/wk and that's not even including minus 9hrs/wk for nap time :)

ok, so i didn't mention SHE DOESN'T SPEAK ENGLISH & doesn't have a car.....so I think the pay is ok for her situation & like I said......after 30 day trial we would increase her salary.

it's not 9 hrs/day, 5 days/wk.....she goes to MDO 2 days/wk and when she's home takes 3hr naps. so it's actually 35 hrs/wk and that's not even including minus 9hrs/wk for nap time :)
So since your daughter naps for 3 hours a day-- does that meant the nanny doesn't need to be present to watch your child???!!!!??? You say she cooks and cleans for you--so regardless if your child is at a MDO or sleeping, it seems your nanny is working-- You can't even get a house cleaner to come out for less then $9/hour to your home to do daily cleaning. And, just because someone doesn't speak English doesn't mean their time isn't worth proper pay-- don't forget you hired her knowing she doesn't speak a lick of English. If you are wanting a mommy for your child then that is what you are there for-- at the rate you are paying her you are basically paying for a set of eyes to make sure your child doesn't stick a fork in an outlet. Do I agree with the phone usage--no, but short of firing her there isn't much you can do to control it-- talking to her might stop it for a while but it will probably start back up again.