Alternatives to Coserv Electric.

I wanted to explore, if there any other cheaper alternatives out there for electricity in frisco.
Any good recommendations...or rave/rants..

emtorres

Silver Member
I was JUST going to post this!! lol I'm about tired of them...from what I gathered in reading their 'contract' once you 'buy in' to the cooperative, you cannot participate in getting electricity from other companies as they opted out of the whole power to choose thing from the beginning...AND if you do decide to leave them you have to pay them a $135 fee on top of any amount you owe them.

Golfer Girl

Triple Platinum
I have had Co-Sev for 6 years now. I have never been able to figure out the hatred towards them except that it takes away the choice issue.

Their rates have been one of the lowest around and I never have outages. Someone last week said she knew people who had a year contract and were paying 8.1 cents and Co-Serv is around 10 cents, yet when I checked the lowest I found was 9.6 cents.

When I flip the switch the lights always go on. Honestly that is all I ask.

emtorres

Silver Member
I have had Co-Sev for 6 years now. I have never been able to figure out the hatred towards them except that it takes away the choice issue.

Their rates have been one of the lowest around and I never have outages. Someone last week said she knew people who had a year contract and were paying 8.1 cents and Co-Serv is around 10 cents, yet when I checked the lowest I found was 9.6 cents.

Their rates are NOT the lowest around.

Coserv: 11 cents

While:
Bounce Energy: 6.1 cents currently

GreenMountain Energy: 9.5 cents
there are others too but this is what I have written down tonight.

That's a lot of money...almost half off my electric bill, locked in for 2 years, and I can switch at any time.

IBM5081

Platinum Member
If your area is designated to be served by Coserv, then that is the sole utility provider for your home by a REP (Retail Electric Provider). Here are your alternatives (not necessarily cheaper, but they are alternatives):

Geothermal for heating or cooling purposes
Solar for heating or power generation
Wind power if your location will allow the windmill in the neighborhood
Power generation from biofuels with a generator
Convert your cooling system to run on natural gas

All of these will take you partly or completely "off the grid" and require some investment on your part.

I live in a city location where both Coserv and non-Coserv electric power is available, but I made a permanent choice long ago to use Coserv. My natural gas is from Atmos rather than Coserv.

Last edited:

Geck

Platinum Member

While:

That's a lot of money...almost half off my electric bill, locked in for 2 years, and I can switch at any time.

how much electricity do you use?

by my estimation if there is a 5 cent per KWH difference times 500 KWH that's $25 difference. 1000kwh is $50. Now i know for some $25-$50 is a big difference and that is fine. I acknowledge and respect that but i never heard of "bounce energy" so i would rather pay a few bucks more knowing that if something goes wrong i may have a better shot at resolving my problems. Not saying that i won't be able to at bounce energy but it's unfamiliar territory.

for those that complain about coserv, didnt you check into that before you bought your home? just curious.

raven70

Double Platinum
TX electric deregulation is the biggest joke. . .The whole concept is mind bogling. The grid is the grid for the most part, although there are differences here and there. For the most part, and I am over simplifying I admit (but not by a lot), TX is like going to a gas station to fill your car. However, each pump has a different name on it and possibly a different price, but could just as easily be pumping from the same tank. Not sure if it is still like this, but there was a time when just about anyone could be a REP. The only quality of service issue really is if they manage your billing correctly more than anything.

Yeah that was me and here is the information:
http://www.frisco-online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787744&page=3

Secsip

Silver Member
When I moved to Frisco I was looking in to Green Mountain Energy and then found out that I did not have a choice but to use Coserv. I think not having a choice bothers me the most, but I don't have complaints about Coserv... so hopefully they will continue to do a good job since I am stuck with 'em.

Golfer Girl

Triple Platinum

While:

Where are you getting these rates? I looked at power to choose and the least expensive fixed rate for Bounce energy is 8.9 which is a big difference between the 6.1 you are quoting.

Green Mountain is 9.9 cents for a 6 months fixed rate or 11.4 cents for 12 month (which is no better than the Co-Serv rate you are quoting).

You may be able to switch but you lock yourself into those rates/companies and decide to switch there is a cancellation fee. Green Mountain charges $200. Bounce is $250. Read the fine print, they are not as good a deal as you are making it out to be.

Considering you JUST moved why would you move into another house that is part of Co-Serv if you hate it that much. That makes no sense.

Where exactly do I go to type in the address to see if it's part of a co-op? I currently pay around 8.9 for my electricity in Plano, but Im moving to Frisco mid January and nobody mentioned a co-op when I bought my house! Zip code 75034 Denton county

Geck

Platinum Member
Not all parts of 75034 are in Denton County which is what is served by Co-Serv. You should have been told that when you purchased your home.

This has nothing to do with Denton county. we are not in denton county and are part of Co-serv.

my electric bills are half what they used to be and we are in a bigger house. I have no complaints. In fact i just received a check back for $26 from Coserv. I bet your electric company won't do that.

In 4 years we just haven't found what all the hatred towards Coserv is all about they are competitive with their rates and their service is just fine.