Allfredo sauce made with cauliflower.

A friend of mine is a chef. He gave me an idea for cauliflower. Can't get my kids to eat it unless it's covered in Ranch dressing. They had no idea and asked this morning if I could make it again. I did this by taste, so measurements aren't exact. I poured the sauce over grilled chicken that I cut into slices, and mixed with a spiraled pasta to hold the sauce.

Steam fresh cauliflower
put it in a blender and add milk, cheese, oil, salt and pepper to taste. This is about what I used.

skim milk (about a cup & 1/4th for almost 1 full large head of cauliflower)
parmesean cheese (I used about 1 3/4 cups, maybe a bit more for flavor, and used the Kraft shredded as it's less expensive if I had to throw the whole thing out) Next time I'll use the good stuff.

1/2 tsp sea salt
1-2 tbls ground pepper (again, to your taste)
2-3 tbls olive oil.

I'm not a huge fan of alfredo sauces, and I had to blend it quite a bit so the cauliflower wasn't "gritty" in the sauce. texture is BIG important to my kids. lol You can use a bit less milk and oil for a thicker sauce or more for thinner.

A friend of mine is a chef. He gave me an idea for cauliflower. Can't get my kids to eat it unless it's covered in Ranch dressing. They had no idea and asked this morning if I could make it again. I did this by taste, so measurements aren't exact. I poured the sauce over grilled chicken that I cut into slices, and mixed with a spiraled pasta to hold the sauce.

Steam fresh cauliflower
put it in a blender and add milk, cheese, oil, salt and pepper to taste. This is about what I used.

parmesean cheese (I used about 1 3/4 cups, maybe a bit more for flavor, and used the Kraft shredded as it's less expensive if I had to throw the whole thing out) Next time I'll use the good stuff.

1/2 tsp sea salt
2-3 tbls olive oil.

I'm not a huge fan of alfredo sauces, and I had to blend it quite a bit so the cauliflower wasn't "gritty" in the sauce. texture is BIG important to my kids. lol You can use a bit less milk and oil for a thicker sauce or more for thinner.
Hmm.. this sounds good!

Also...I might not have had to blend it soooooo much if I had steamed it longer or maybe just boiled it. I know that boiling causes it to lose some nutrients, so I try to steam more than boil. I'll have to try a few more times to perfect it. lol

bizguy

Diamond Member

Steam fresh cauliflower

1/2 tsp sea salt
2-3 tbls olive oil.

so what time should I be over for dinner....

RockHopper

Silver Member
When I boil it for puree I used the water for the necessary liquid to make sure I reincorporate the goodies that may have leached out in cooking! Sounds yummo and I'll be trying it soon.

That looks really good! I've been playing with cauliflower as "mashed potatoes". Can't quite get the favors right to trick the kids. It tastes great to me, but those little devils are watching me like a hawk in the kitchen bc I'm on a health kick and sneaking Greek yogurt in everything!

angelaN

Platinum Member
I do a cauliflower "potato" soup. It does have a couple of potatoes in it but mostly cauliflower. Turns out really creamy and the kids love it.

I will try the alfredo - thanks.

angelaN

Platinum Member
Your turn for the soup recipe!!!!!
Except I don't use recipes so I will give a general.......

Pan fry some bacon (3-6) slices. Remove bacon and saute half an onion in the drippings. Throw in a chopped up head of cauliflower and toss around until coated and the cauliflower has a little color. Add cubed potatoes (anywhere from 2-5 depending on size and how carb adverse you are). Cover with chicken broth and simmer until everything is tender and well cooked. (I use water and then add appropriate amount of powder chicken flavoring if you are concerned with salt than use a canned broth with low sodium).

Puree using handblender while in pot and hot. Keep doing this until smooth. Add salt and pepper. You can cook it down if it is too thin or add water/broth if too thick.

Serve with crumbled bacon, shredded cheese, sour cream and chopped green onions as toppers.

If you are watching your calorie intake than use less bacon fat and avoid toppings and it is quite healthy.

rawhide

Diamond Member
Thanks FGP and Angela for the recipes!

I love cauliflower and am the only one in my family who will eat it. These 2 recipes will help.

Sounds yummy! I love cauliflower, kids are ok with it, RB will eat it if I make it but isn't crazy about it. I love alfredo sauce, but we never have it because I don't like the fat/calorie content. I will give this a try. We eat a lot of grilled chicken and this would be great!

I also like it roasted in the oven with some either lemon EVOO or garlic EVOO. It is yummy! Fadi's has the BEST roasted cauliflower.

van

Diamond Member
Whats this "hiding food" thing to get it passed the kids? We had to eat this crap growing up.....boiled cabbage comes to mind! Why shouldn't they? :stick:

JJFrisco

Double Platinum
That looks really good! I've been playing with cauliflower as "mashed potatoes". Can't quite get the favors right to trick the kids. It tastes great to me, but those little devils are watching me like a hawk in the kitchen bc I'm on a health kick and sneaking Greek yogurt in everything!
My wife tried to make the "mashed potatoes" once. Somehow the face that I made when I ate them caused the kids not to eat them as well (I'm sure it had nothing to do with the taste or runny/watery consistency). I was told I ruined dinner and had to sleep on the couch for a night or two.