Adding a wireless router to U-verse

JJFrisco

Double Platinum
We have U-verse. One if the common complaints is that the wifi goes down about once a week. I have to reset the box in our closet for this to come back on. Not that big of a deal, but its annoying.

We have lots of "stuff" in our house that uses Wifi (3 iphones, 1 printer, 2 laptops, 2 Blue Ray, 1 Wii, 1 Nook, 1 Nintendo DS, and probably some other stuff I cant think of at the moment). It seems to go down more often when a lot of those devices are in use.

Would adding a 3rd party wireless router and creating a different wifi network help? I've done this before when we had TWC, but never with U-verse. Any pointers or anything I need to be aware of?

50ae

Silver Member
Bridge it. I have an Apple router on my u-verse since the u-verse router is junk. I really wish they'd have just given me a simple modem instead of their wireless piece of junk.

JJFrisco

Double Platinum
Ok, so I had to add a gigabit switch when I added the wireless receiver for the patio. I just add an access point to that?

I'm not a techie, but can I just buy a wifi router and that can be my access point, or do I have to buy something specifically called an access point?

coachrex75035

Platinum Member
Ok, so I had to add a gigabit switch when I added the wireless receiver for the patio. I just add an access point to that?

I'm not a techie, but can I just buy a wifi router and that can be my access point, or do I have to buy something specifically called an access point?

If you already have a switch the access point will plug and play.

rbrodner

Diamond Member
If you already have a switch the access point will plug and play.
Yeah, but for whatever reason a router is going to be cheaper than a stand alone access point (which doesn't make sense since an access point is just an access point while a router is a router + access point + Ethernet switch).

If you get a router, you have to disable the routing functions (turn off the DHCP server and assign it a static IP address on your current network) before you add it to your network. You also want to remember to wire it to the Uverse router via a LAN port, not the WAN port, otherwise you'll end up with two separate networks in your house. The WAN port is only for plugging directly into the Internet.

Last edited:

Bull_07

Platinum Member
Yeah, but for whatever reason a router is going to be cheaper than a stand alone access point (which doesn't make sense since an access point is just an access point while a router is a router + access point + Ethernet switch).
I never quite understood that either. More for less.

JJFrisco

Double Platinum
So last night I did essentially what rbrodner suggested.

I got a Wireless N router and:
- Changed it to static IP
- Assigned an IP within the DHCP range of my U-verse Router
- Assigned the new router the same subnet as my U-verse Router
- Connected it to the switch I previously bought

I left the wifi turned on on the u-verse box, so now I have 2 wifi networks in the house. I'm fine with that, since there are a lot of devices on the existing wifi network, including some I would rather not mess with like the outside TV.

It seems to be working fine with no interference. I can even printer which is on the old wifi network, from the laptop on the new wifi network.

Time will tell if this helps the stability problems. Thanks guys!

I'm not a techie, ........

Really?

- Assigned the new router the same subnet as my U-verse Router
- Connected it to the switch I previously bought

I left the wifi turned on on the u-verse box, so now I have 2 wifi networks in the house. I'm fine with that, since there are a lot of devices on the existing wifi network, including some I would rather not mess with like the outside TV.

It seems to be working fine with no interference. I can even printer which is on the old wifi network, from the laptop on the new wifi network.

Time will tell if this helps the stability problems. Thanks guys!

Then explain this........

JJFrisco

Double Platinum
I'm a jack of all trades PM. People at work think I'm either in facilities or IT (except the facilities and IT guys, who think I am a call center manager).

Regardless, I read lots and watched quite a you tube videos last night to figure it out.

Hopefully it works in the long run.

rbrodner

Diamond Member
You should be fine based on what you posted. I had the same issue with my first Uverse gateway. Wireless would drop and I could get it back by either power cycling the thing or log in from a wired PC and turn wireless off then back on again. I think the thing was showing early signs of dying because it kicked the bucket completely a couple months later.

mattbta

Silver Member

You really want to have the new router's IP outside of the U-verse DHCP range, so the U-verse doesn't try and assign the IP already occupied by the new router to another device.

rbrodner

Diamond Member
You really want to have the new router's IP outside of the U-verse DHCP range, so the U-verse doesn't try and assign the IP already occupied by the new router to another device.
Correct, but on the same subnet. So if the subnet is 192.168.1.x, and DHCP is assigning 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.100, you want to assign it an address of 192.168.1.101 to 192.168.1.254

planomateo

Platinum Member
Call support and tell them to give you a newer router.

Come to think of it, I might have a spare uverse router at the house if you wanna try it (they double shipped me about 6 months ago). I told them I'm not wasting gas or my time to drop it off a the post office, told them not to send me another one and they did.

Some idiot disconnected me from the ATT box outside our neighborhood, but support still shipped me a new one. you can have this one.

Last edited: