We know… it’s the smell of corny dogs wafting up from Downtown Dallas that makes it OFFICIALLY fall. This year, the Fair starts today, September 29th, and runs through Sunday, October 22nd, and Texas Discovery Gardens has a bunch of new activities to incorporate into your Fair trip.
But, not all State Fair of Texas ticket holders realize that the Texas Discovery Gardens and Butterfly House is open during fair hours and just a few steps from the Texas Star Ferris Wheel. This year TDG offers a change of scenery for those seeking a breather from the bustle.
- Air Conditioning: An air-conditioned Grand Hall and lobby where guests can cool off while perusing a gallery of live critters and creatures, an art gallery, a gift shop and floor to ceiling windows overlooking the 7.5 acres of botanic organic gardens with native, adaptive and pollinator plants.
- Nursing Station: A private and air-conditioned nursing station for all new mothers and their babies. The TDG ‘Bride’s Room’ will be outfitted to accommodate moms who need a quiet, discreet and comfortable area to breastfeed.
- Zen: New to TDG during the State Fair is the indoor and outdoor Ikebana exhibits from the Ikebana International Dallas Chapter – Ikebana is the Japanese art of arranging flowers which is known for its beauty but also for its meditative qualities. Guests can take a break from the daredevil Midway rides and recharge here.
- Quiet Culture: TDG’s airconditioned art gallery will feature ‘Silent Dialogue’ by Du Chau throughout the fair displaying the Vietnamese artist’s combined interests in pathology and the visual arts.
- Lowpriced, Frozen Treat: Nola Snowballs can’t be found anywhere but the TDG grounds during the fair, driven in from New Orleans especially for the State Fair of Texas fun. If guests want to skip the coupons and use cash they can try a powdery, fluffy ice treat doused in madefromscratch syrups.
- Butterfly Tag & Release: All ages can have a rare chance to safely tag and release Monarch butterflies before their long migration to Mexico. 10:30 and 3pm daily. 10:30 and 3:00 pm on the TDG front lawn daily (free).
- Butterfly Release — 12pm inside the Butterfly House daily
- Critter Encounter — 2pm in the lobby
- Snake Feeding — 2:30pm Thursdays in “Snakes of Texas” exhibit
So make Fair Day EXTRA kid-friendly this year with a visit to the Texas Discovery Gardens. With a mission to teach effective ways to restore, conserve and preserve nature in the urban environment, you and your kiddos can learn about organic and sustainable gardening, see the thousands of unique butterflies, and enjoy the urban garden.
Pro tip: If you can make it to the Fair on a Tuesday or Wednesday morning, you’ll have fewer crowds, cooler temperatures, and easy access to all of the rides, food, and exhibits.
Even more pro tips: State Fair admission and parking are required to visit Texas Discovery Gardens during the Fair, since they’re on the Fairgrounds. Texas Discovery Garden members receive a voucher good for up to 6 people for one free weekday Fair admission during the Fair (excluding Columbus Day). Very cool!
EXTENDED HOURS AND HALF-PRICE RATES DURING THE FAIR!
Open daily at 10 am, last ticket sold at 6 pm
Admission for non-members: $4/adults, $3/ages 60+ and $2/ages 3-11