Wallpapers have made a strong comeback recently with fresh, innovative designs that can redefine or reinvent your home and business spaces. If you’ve been reluctant to incorporate this popular design medium, perhaps it’s time to reconsider!
Types of Wall Covering
Different types of wall treatments can breathe unique, new life into a room. There are choices for every desired aesthetic… printed papers, metallics, fabrics and silks, corks, grasscloths, and the list goes on.
- Choose a medium like grasscloth to reconnect with nature or for added texture in a room. Grasscloth is often made with the finest eco-chic grass, paper, and bamboo to provide dynamic texture.
- Printed wallpapers introduce an element of intrigue. From digital art to your own personal images, printed wallpapers offer endless possibilities to express yourself or your business. Large geometric designs make a bold statement whereas monochromatic pencil drawings can calm a room.
- Metallic wallpapers create a modern, contemporary look that illuminates a space with a subdued glow. A subtle metallic pattern and smooth finish is great for a minimalist or a textured pattern creates a more ethereal feel. I love using metallics when I want to add a touch of sophisticated glamour in a room!
- Fabric wall coverings are visually appealing in patterns or textural solid colors. They’re soft for an inviting touch, provide subtle dimension and are great for sound absorption.
Where to Use Them
There is a litany of wall coverings available to speak to your sense of style. The key is knowing how to strategically use them to perfectly accent your space. Certainly, different rooms inspire their own unique looks. Some of my personal favorite applications are:
- Bedroom accent wall – Choose the wall behind your headboard and dress it with wallpaper that makes a bold statement. This is a natural focal point in a room so make it really count with that perfect treatment!
- Powder room – I like warm, subtle elegance for powder rooms, almost as if it envelops you. Neutral tones and soft hues of blue are excellent color choices to evoke feelings of relaxation. Deep colors like navy, black or plum communicate a rich, dramatic feel.
- Commercial reception areas – If any area in an office gets noticed, it’s the reception lobby. What a perfect place to visually communicate the tone of your business and make that vital first impression. Why not pull out all the stops and use a “wow” wallpaper? If the establishment is more creative and casual, perhaps play with fun colors and quirky patterns. However, if the company is more formal and refined, get creative with tailored, sophisticated wallpapers that enhance the brand image.
How to Select that Perfect Paper
Just as with any piece of furniture or drapery treatment, it’s important to carefully select the right wall covering. Color, scale, and patterns all have to balance with the amount of wall you’ll cover to ensure a well-proportioned result. Make this choice carefully as a mistake here can be aggravating from a time and expense standpoint.
Installing a wall covering is not for the faint of heart. Professional installation is key for a successful project. If you decide to DIY, be sure you’ve mastered the following “musts.”
- Calculate the amount of wallpaper needed
- Properly prep the wall
- Pattern match where the seams of the wallpaper come together
- Conceal seams when using dark colors or heavy textures
- Work in the proper climate, with the proper tools
At Nicole Arnold Interiors, we love introducing wall coverings to our residential and commercial clients. If you’d like us to guide you in your next project, contact us today to schedule a consultation. Let’s elevate the look of your space!